Skip to main content

Movie #6 - Hereditary



Image result for hereditaryFinally.

After five long weeks of $0.99 cent rentals, Apple finally promoted a really good film. Hereditary is terrifying, bloody, and contains a scene where my husband had to pause the film so that I could walk around the house catching my breath. Yes, it's that scary.

In short, it's a film about tragedy, it's punctuated by loss, and death propels the plot forward, but not in a slasher-everyone's-going-to-die-anyway kind of way, but more so in a scary-it's-this-close-to-real-life kind of way.

The entire picture is shot in a grey-ish tone where even in the daytime scenes you feel askew in some way, that something just isn't right. Also, if Ann Dowd approaches you in any aspect of your life: RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION.

Toni Collette plays the mom whose family is under siege, Gabriel Byrne her stalwart husband. Great performances by Alex Wolff (Peter) and Milly Shapiro (Charlie) round out the cast, and overall, despite the fact that I really don't care for scary movies, this one is terrific. Always things that are this-close to being real scare the pants off me, and I do like thoughtful, intelligent scary movies--even if the ones where people are {SPOILER} possessed chill me to my bones.

It's been a long few weeks around our household, with lots of winter, so much cold, and really feeling like it's time for the seasons to change. Mainly, I'm exhausted by the weight of boots, the zipper in my coat acting finicky, and my absolute inability to get to bed at a decent hour. My one day a week working from home is saving my sanity, today being it--so actually enjoying one of these movies, and not feeling like, ugh.... this.... was a good feeling.

Up next. Life Itself. Quite honestly one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie #7 - Life Itself

I procrastinated watching this movie because emotional manipulation isn't high on my list of things to do for a Tuesday evening. And Life Itself purports itself to be "sensitive" and "poignant" but really it's essentially misery porn, and I am not down for it.  In short, it's a story with no realistic timeline, characters being needlessly killed as a means to develop the "plot," and all driving to a maudlin ending where we're supposed to feel like all the needless tragedy turns itself around because "things happen for a reason." It's also punctuated by some of the worst writing I've ever come across in film, but that's besides the point as you're already so defeated by all of the "shocking" deaths and ridiculous coincidences that inevitably land the story in exactly the place where Fogelman wants it to be, and I don't understand if there's a point other than to be wholly and completely co...

Movie #2 - Deadpool 2

I'm falling a bit behind these last couple weeks. Week #2 was Deadpool 2 , which is solid, enjoyable and fun, and so meta . I hate using that word. I'm sorry. The story picks up shortly after the first movie ended, with Wade Wilson reunited with his love, Vanessa (Morena Baccarin), and (spoilers, but come on the movie's been out for months, if you haven't see it, you can't blame me at this point) they're looking to start a family. So, of course, something terrible happens to Vanessa (she's shot by some bad guys), and that sets up the plot for the balance of the movie. It's Bourne Revenge meets Guy Whose In Mourning and (yawn) this kicks off some bad decisions on Wade's part--despite his being forced into attempting to deal with his feelings by the metal man, Colossus (I know, comic books). Here's the thing. The movie is fun. The movie is desperately entertaining. Ryan Reynolds is legitimately hilarious. But, meh. Do you know what's f...